Kidnappers Abduct Man Delivering Ransom in Niger state

Kidnappers in Nigeria have seized a man who was sent to deliver a ransom payment to secure the release of dozens of abducted school children.

The elderly man was sent by the children’s parents after they managed to raise 30m naira ($73,000; £53,000) by selling land and other possessions.

But they have been left feeling hopeless following his kidnapping.

The north of the country is in the midst of a wave of school abductions carried out by criminals for profit.

Ransoms are frequently paid, but this is a rare case where the person carrying the cash has been taken.

The kidnappers called up the school’s headteacher to say that the money delivered was not the agreed sum.

The 136 students were taken from an Islamic school in Tegina, Niger state, in late May.

Gunmen riding on motorcycles stormed the town and opened fire indiscriminately killing one person and injuring another.

As people fled, the attackers went to the school and seized the children.

The parents and school administrators negotiated with the criminals and agreed to pay the ransom. They sold part of the school’s land as well as other possessions.

Headteacher Malam Abubakar Alhassan told the Airviews reporter that six people were sent with the correct amount to meet the kidnappers near the forest where the children were being held.

When they arrived, the gunmen demanded that one of the group, an elderly man, follow them into the forest so that the cash could be counted.

But they later called to say the money was not sufficient.

According to Mr Alhassan reported that “Parents are now resigned to fate. They say they can’t raise any more money. They are now relying on God.

More than 1,000 students have been abducted from schools across northern Nigeria since December last year.

Hundreds of them are still in captivity, although some of the students kidnapped at Bethel High School were released on saturday nights by the bandits as sallah gifts to their aggrieved parents.

The authorities are being severely criticised for their failure to tackle the country’s widespread insecurity including the deepening kidnapping crisis.

Reported by Michael Reuben.

Nigeria, UAE to track illegal gold trade ― Minister

he federal government in collaboration with the United Arab Emirates (UAE) have agreed to track huge illegal movement of gold from Nigeria to Dubai.

Mr Olamilekan Adegbite, Minister of Mines and Steel Development, announced this in the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) Forum.

According to Adegbite, Nigeria government is currently negotiating a bilateral agreement with the UAE to check every gold entering Dubai from Nigeria.

He noted that huge quantity of gold were being moved from Nigeria illegally on a daily basis to Dubai, adding that the gold passed through UAE police freely unknown to them that royalties were not paid to Nigeria.

“The UAE collect their own charges on gold that arrived in Dubai airport but Nigeria government has told UAE to ask anyone entering Dubai with Nigeria gold to present certificate of exportation got from Nigeria before allowing them to pass.

“We have agreed with UAE to seize any gold from Nigeria without certificate of exportation; we told them that the value of the gold will be shared equally as an incentive for UAE to eradicate illegal exportation of gold from Nigeria to Dubai.

“All we expected from whoever that is travelling from Nigeria to Dubai with our raw gold is to pay royalty to the Nigeria government and such person will be given certificate of exportation.

“The certificate of exportation will be automatically integrated into the Nigeria Customs Services system, our law accepts exportation of gold but royalty must be paid,” he said.

(NAN)

Former Oyo State governor told FG to declare amnesty for Sunday Igboho, Nnamdi Kanu

Former Oyo State Governor, Rashidi Ladoja, has advised the Federal Government of Nigeria to declare amnesty for Yoruba activist, Sunday Igboho, and leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu.

Ladoja argued that the Federal Government should offer Igboho and Kanu official pardon as they have done to repented Boko Haram fighters in Borno State.

The former governor stated this while speaking with journalists in his Bodija residence on Tuesday.

Recall that Igboho was nabbed by the International Criminal Police Organisation in Cotonou, Benin Republic, while Kanu is currently in detention in the custody of the Department of State Services, DSS, while his trial continues.

Ladoja said: “Federal government has declared amnesty for Boko Haram, they should also declare amnesty for Igboho and the IPOB leader.

“Just like Kanu, to some people, Sunday Igboho has also become a leader, people are agitating for what they believe in. Yoruba leaders, including the Alaafin of Oyo have been complaining about atrocities committed by suspected herdsmen and nothing has been done to it till now.

“Boko Haram members were arrested a year ago by the government and have been released to the Borno State government.

“Sunday Igboho was created in the context of killings in Ibarapa axis of Oyo State. Nobody has been arrested for it and even if they were arrested, they were later released. That’s why people resorted to self-help.

By Airview News

Delta State Government request FG to return $4.2m recovered from Ibori

Delta State Government request FG to return $4.2m recovered from Ibori

Delta State Governor, Ifeanyi Okowa, yesterday, urged the Federal Government to return the £4.2m Ibori loot or invest it in specific projects in the state.

Okowa, who spoke at the quarterly media briefing in Asaba, said the state government had written the Attorney General of the Federation and the presidency on the need to return the fund or channel it to specific projects.

“Now that the United Kingdom has returned the money to the country, we want to ensure that it is refunded to the state. Letters have been written and we have made appeals to Mr. President and Attorney General of the Federation. We asked that either the money is returned to us, or applied to projects in Delta State.

“We also suggested some projects to which the money can be applied. The £4.2m should amount to about N2.2b going by current exchange rate,” he said.

Okowa also said his decision to dissolve the state’s executive council was informed by the need to work without stress and to enable people to pursue their interests.

The governor described the security situation in the country as worrisome and that Delta State was not spared saying: “This is not the land of our dream, where it is now difficult to travel on land, not because of the fear of accidents, but because of criminals.

He said the meeting of the southern governors in Asaba and their decisions was in the best interest of the country, saying the resolutions would unite, create development and move the country forward.

Okowa also disclosed that another meeting of the southern governors would be held to follow up on the earlier decisions of the Asaba meeting.

MEANWHILE, Chairman, Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC), Prof. Itse Sagay, said spending the returned Ibori loot outside Delta State would amount to breach of trust.

He said the Federal Government was just a trustee, while the beneficiary remained Delta State and as such, the Federal Government should spend the money in the state.

“The money belongs to Delta State and not the Federal Government. If they don’t want to give to the state government directly, they should spend it exclusively in Delta, otherwise it will be a breach of trust,” he said.

Two Persons killed as hoodlums attack Osun community

Two persons have been reportedly killed by some hoodlums during a violent attack at Arulogun area of Ede in Osun State.

Airview News gathered that hoodlums, on Thursday and about 30 in number invaded the house of one Wakili Olayiwola, set his Toyota Corolla car on fire and ‘rained’ bullets on the building.

The hoodlums eventually killed a 23-year-old man, Rilwan Kareem of Oke Bode Area in Ede and one Taofeek, Airview News learnt.

However, the police spokesperson in Osun State, SP Yemisi Opalola said five persons have been arrested over the matter.

Suleiman Babatunde, 39; Saka Taofeek, 35; Raimi Saheed, 21; Akinloye Quwiyu, 23 and Sadio Alatise, 25 were arrested.

She disclosed that the corpses of the victims have been deposited at the mortuary for autopsy.

“Exhibits recovered from the suspects are one single barrel gun, a dane gun, eight expended cartridges, axes, cutlasses, criminal charms, five motorcycles and 48 rounds of AK 47.

“Expanded investigation is ongoing while the Commissioner of Police vowed to arrest all the escapees and ensure that all of them face the wrath of the law,” she added.

By Airview News.

Joe Biden, US Presidential Aspirant, Tells Buhari, to order the Military to cease fire against the Protesters.

Joe Biden, the Democratic Presidential candidate in the upcoming United States election, has spoken on the #EndSARS uprising in Nigeria.

Biden has now called on the President of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari, and the military to stop the violent crackdown on protesters which has led to several deaths.

The former American Vice-President said this in a statement titled, ‘Violence in Nigeria – Statement by Vice President Joe Biden’ on Wednesday.

Biden said the United States must stand with Nigerians who are peacefully demonstrating for police reform and seeking an end to corruption.

The statement read, “I urge President Buhari and the Nigerian military to cease the violent crackdown on protesters in Nigeria, which has already resulted in several deaths. My heart goes out to all those who have lost a loved one in the violence.

“The United States must stand with Nigerians who are peacefully demonstrating for police reform and seeking an end to corruption in their democracy. I encourage the government to engage in a good-faith dialogue with civil society to address these long-standing grievances and work together for a more just and inclusive Nigeria.”

Thousands of youths have in the last two weeks been protesting against police harassment and extrajudicial killings.

On Tuesday, however, after hoodlums had hijacked the demonstrations, Lagos, which is the epicentre of the protests, put in place a 24-hour curfew while soldiers moved in to disperse protesters at the Lekki toll gates.

Eyewitnesses claim at least seven people were killed in the attack but the state government claims the figures were exaggerated.

On Wednesday, several irate youths took to the streets to burn down government facilities and some private establishments.

No SARS officers will be deploy to SWAT, no patrol, unlawful search – Police

Nigeria Police have announced that members of the defunct Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) will not be deployed to the Special Weapons and Tactics Team (SWAT).

The Force Headquarters confirmed this on Wednesday.

Public Relations Officer, Frank Mba, gave five ‘important facts’ about the new unit.

The points are: No personnel of the defunct SARS will be selected to be part of the new Tactical Team;

Operations of the new Tactical Team will be strictly intelligence driven;
Members of the new Tactical Team will by no means embark on routine patrols;

The new team are barred from indiscriminate and unlawful search of phones and laptops;

Operatives must be free of any disciplinary matter especially those touching on misuse of firearms or abuse of human rights.

The Police had ordered all SARS personnel to report to Abuja.

The security agency also assured that prospective SWAT members will undergo psychological and medical examination to ascertain their fitness and eligibility.

They are to commence training at the different Police tactical training institutions nationwide next week.

Personnel from the Police Commands in the South-East and the South-South will be trained at the Counter-Terrorism College, Nonwa-Tai, Rivers State.

Those from the Police Commands in the North and South-West will be trained at the Police Mobile Force Training College, Nasarawa State and the Police Mobile Force Training College, Osun State, respectively.

An envious man beheads his wife & carries it to Police station. See why

Kinnar Yadav, a jealous husband has shocked people after allegedly killing his wife in a very horrific way.

The man is said to have cut his wife’s head off just because he caught her talking to their neighbour.

Kinnar Yadav, 40, had long suspected his wife Vimla, 35, of being unfaithful to him, according to reports.

Other residents of Baberu, located in Banda region in India’s Uttar Pradesh, reportedly told him she was having an affair with Ravikant Yadav who lives in a house near the couple.

On Friday morning Kinnar took a walk and returned home to find Vimla chatting with Rakivant.

Local police say he was looking to buy a buffalo and Vimla had been giving him tips.

Seeing the two of them together angered Kinnar so much that he grabbed an axe and attacked the other man, injuring him before he fled the scene.

He then turned his attention to his wife, killing her and severing her head from her body. The couple’s two sons, Bhagat and Prahlad, weren’t home at the time.

Officers say Kinnar took the head and walked almost 3km to the closest police station to turn himself in.

He reportedly stood inside the station holding the head for more than 15 minutes before senior police officers were alerted to his alarming presence.

Footage of the man brandishing his wife’s head was published on social media, where authorities say it went viral.

Banda’s assistant superintendent of police Mahendra P Chauhan told local media: “The incident happened in Baberu town.

“Kinnar reached the police station around 8:30 am with the severed head.

“He also attacked the neighbour, Ravikant Yadav, who is under treatment at a hospital. His condition is stable.”

He added: “Kinnar told us that he wanted to kill Ravikant but ended up killing his wife in a fit of rage.”

The suspect was arrested under Section 302 (murder) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).

A case was registered at Baberu police station under relevant IPC sections and Kinnar will appear in a local court soon, a police officer said.

Source: Daily Star UK

Breaking :Three Libyan men set Nigeria man ablaze in Tripoli

The United Nations(UN) has reacted after the Libyan Interior Ministry revealed how three Libyan men stormed a factory in Tripoli, doused a Nigerian worker in petrol, and set him on fire.

A statement by Tripoli’s interior ministry on Wednesday said the 3 suspects, all Libyan nationals, had been detained for the attack on the Nigerian man who has not been named. on Tuesday October 6.

According to the ministry, witnesses described the men storming the factory and setting the Nigerian man on fire.

The attack, one out of many carried out by Libyans on migrants in the north African country has been described by the United Nations as “another senseless crime against migrants in the country.”

“We are horrified by the killing of a Nigerian migrant worker in Tripoli, Libya by three men yesterday. The young man was burned alive, in yet again another senseless crime against migrants in the country,” tweeted Federico Soda, head of the UN’s International Organization of Migration mission in Libya.

“Those responsible must be held to account.”

By
Airview News.