Plane crash-lands into Lake Victoria

A Tanzanian passenger plane has crash-landed into Lake Victoria next to the north-western town of Bukoba.

More than 20 of the 49 passengers have been rescued, according to local media reports, but these figures has not been officially confirmed.

Rescue workers and local fishermen are on the scene searching for survivors.

Photos show the plane almost completely submerged with only the brown and green tail fin above the water, surrounded by rescue workers and fishing boats.

One end of the runway at Bukoba airport lies right next to the shore of Lake Victoria, Africa’s largest lake.

The Precision Air flight was going from Tanzania’s biggest city, Das es Salaam, to Bukoba via Mwanza when it reportedly encountered a storm and heavy rains.

Precision Air is Tanzania’s largest privately owned airline.

 

Airview News reports

245 Killed, 623 houses burnt in fresh Kaduna Massacre

The Paramount Ruler of the Atyap Chiefdom, Agwatyap, Sir Dominic Yahaya, has raised alarm that 245 locals have been allegedly killed and 623 houses completely burnt down in an attack by Fulanis living within his domain, in Zango-Kataf Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

The monarch stated this on Wednesday, at the Kaduna Catholic Social Centre, during the commemoration of the International Peace Day 2022, organised by the Liturgy and Social Justice, MCSL and SCD in Kaduna.

 

US has privately warned Russia of consequences of using a nuclear weapon

Anonymous officials told Washington Post that the White House has publicly been purposefully vague about what those consequences would be in an attempt to build concern among Russian leaders, a method of nuclear deterrence called “strategic ambiguity.”

President Biden underlined his opposition to Russian President Vladimir Putin’s threat to use nuclear weapons in an interview with CBS’s “60 minutes” on Sunday, where he warned the Russian leader not to “change the face of war.”

“Don’t. Don’t. Don’t. You will change the face of war unlike anything since World War II,” Biden said when host Scott Pelley asked for a message to Putin concerning weapons of mass destruction.

Biden added that the U.S. response to Russian use of nuclear weapons would depend on “the extent of what they do.”

Deputy chairman of the Russian Security Council Dmitry Medvedev stoked fears about Russia’s possible use of weapons when he announced on Thursday that the country would be willing to use “strategic nuclear weapons” to protect itself.

“The protection of all joined territories will be significantly strengthened by the Russian Armed Forces,” wrote Medvedev on Telegram.

“Russia announced that not only mobilization capabilities, but also any Russian weapons, including strategic nuclear weapons and weapons based on new principles, could be used for such protection.”

Ukrainian Gen. Valeriy Zaluzhnyi, commander in chief of the country’s armed forces, and Lt. Gen. Mykhailo Zabrodskyi predicted earlier this month in an article that nuclear war was a “threat.”

“It is hard to imagine that even nuclear strikes will allow Russia to break Ukraine’s will to resist,” the two wrote for state news outlet Ukrinform.

“But the threat that will emerge for the whole of Europe cannot be ignored.”

The pair encouraged Ukraine’s Western allies to employ their “entire arsenal of means” to prevent the possibility of nuclear war.

For the latest news, weather, sports, and streaming video, head to The Hill.

Airview News reports.

Hungary’s premier calls for lifting EU sanctions on Russia by end of this year

Hungary’s premier calls for lifting EU sanctions on Russia by end of this year

The Hungarian prime minister has called for lifting EU sanctions on Russia by the end of this year, saying restrictive measures cause inflation and economic crisis, local media reported on late Wednesday.

Speaking at a meeting of the Hungarian governing party in Balatonalmadi, Viktor Orban called on all members of the Fidesz party to “do everything possible to make the EU withdraw sanctions (against Russia) by the end of the year,” according to the Magyar Nemzet daily.

According to Orban, Brussels-based EU officials “forced” the sanctions on Europe earlier this year, turning a “local conflict” into a “global economic war.”

The sanctions ended up causing economic problems, including energy crisis and inflation, he further said.

If sanctions were lifted, the inflation would drop by 50%, the prime minister added.

Orban’s speech implies that Hungary might block the adoption of a new EU sanction package that EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell announced on Thursday following an extraordinary meeting of EU top diplomats on the margins of the UN General Assembly in New York.

Without revealing details, Borrell confirmed that the EU prepares new economic measures against Moscow and will increase its military support to Ukraine in response to the partial mobilization in Russia.

EU ambassadors are expected to discuss the proposal on Friday.

Since the beginning of Russia’s war on Ukraine, the bloc has provided a total of €2.5 billion ($2.5 billion) in military aid, including lethal weapons, as well as personal protective gear, first aid kits, and fuel.

It has also imposed seven sanctions packages, targeting, among others, Russian President Vladimir Putin and Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, banning gold, oil, and coal imports, and the export of luxury goods and high-tech technology, as well as excluding Russian and Belarusian banks from the international payment system SWIFT.

In the spring, Hungary blocked for weeks the adoption of the sixth sanctions package because of its prohibition of Russian oil imports.

As a compromise, the country was given an exception for pipeline oil imports, but it nevertheless vetoed imposing sanctions of travel ban and asset freeze against the leader of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill.

Airview News reports.

Uganda Declares Ebola Outbreak

The health authorities in Uganda today declared an outbreak of Ebola after a case of the Sudan ebolavirus was confirmed in Mubende district in the central part of the country.

The Uganda Virus Research Institute confirmed the case after testing a sample taken from a 24-year-old male. This follows an investigation by the National Rapid Response team of six suspicious deaths that have occurred in the district this month. There are currently eight suspected cases who are receiving care in a health facility.

“This is the first time in more than a decade that Uganda is recording an outbreak of Sudan ebolavirus. We are working closely with the national health authorities to investigate the source of this outbreak while supporting the efforts to quickly roll out effective control measures,” said Dr Matshidiso Moeti, World Health Organization (WHO) Regional Director for Africa. “Uganda is no stranger to effective Ebola control. Thanks to its expertise, action has been taken to quickly to detect the virus and we can bank on this knowledge to halt the spread of infections.”

There have been seven previous outbreaks of the Sudan ebolavirus, with four occurring in Uganda and three in Sudan. Uganda last reported an outbreak of Sudan ebolavirus in 2012. In 2019, the country experienced an outbreak of Zaire ebolavirus. The virus was imported from neighbouring Democratic Republic of the Congo which was battling a large epidemic in its north-eastern region.

WHO is helping Ugandan health authorities with the investigation and is deploying staff to the affected area. The Organization has dispatched supplies to support the care of patients and is sending a tent that will be used to isolate patients.

While ring vaccination of high-risk people with Ervebo (rVSV-ZEBOV) vaccine has been highly effective in controlling the spread of Ebola in recent outbreaks in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and elsewhere, this vaccine has only been approved to protect against the Zaire virus. Another vaccine produced by Johnson and Johnson may be effective but has yet to be specifically tested against Ebola Sudan.

Ebola is a severe, often fatal illness affecting humans and other primates. It has six different species, three of which (Bundibugyo, Sudan and Zaire) have previously caused large outbreaks. Case fatality rates of the Sudan virus have varied from 41% to 100% in past outbreaks. Early initiation of supportive treatment has been shown to significantly reduce deaths from Ebola.

Airview News reports.

 

 

Breaking : Court Orders ASUU to call off the ongoing strike.

The National Industrial Court has ordered the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), to call off the ongoing strike.

Airview News reports that the industrial action has lasted for seven months.

The Court invoked section 18 of the Trade Dispute Act and national interest of the Nigerian students to grant the request of the Federal Government for an order of injunction against the lecturers.

Justice Polycap Hamman issued the order for suspension of the strike while ruling in an application filed by the Federal Government asking that the University teachers be compelled to go back to work pending the resolution of their demands for better working conditions.

 

By

Airview News

This Is Declaration Of Ethnicity War Against Igbos’ – Labour Party Knocks Sanwo-Olu Over Closure Of Ladipo, Oyingbo Markets

The Labour Party, (LP) has condemned the Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu led government over the closure of Ladipo and Oyingbo markets in the state due to claims of indiscriminate waste disposal by traders.

Naija News reports that Lagos State Government had recently announced that it will be shutting down both Ladipo and Oyingbo markets in the state indefinitely by Thursday 22nd September 2022 due to claims of indiscriminate waste disposal by traders.

According to the state government, the traders were guilty of reckless waste dumping, non-payment for waste services, and general poor waste management.

Reacting to the development, the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Arabambi Abayomi, in a statement on Monday night, accused the All Progressives Congress-led government of being an “intolerant and highly crude government”, adding that “being completely dictatorial, Hitlerite and recklessly very undemocratic is what it is now being known” of the government.

He further expressed shock at the development and frown at the excuse, describing it as “deceptive” and accusing the government of being intolerant, discriminatory and oppressive.

He also quoted the Nigerian constitution, which guarantees every citizen the freedom to live and work in any part of the country, warning that people’s rebellion are born by oppressive and wicked Governance.

While calling on the security agencies to act, the party added that it “entirely and absolutely condemns this act that points in the direction of babaric and dangerously primitive politics of the APC all over the country.”

The statement reads partly; “Closing Ladipo and Oyingbo markets in Lagos indefinitely , two predominantly major centers of Igbos businesses with a view to ruin their businesses because they are confessed and very unrepentant loyal supporters of LP in Lagos is intolerant, callous, insensitive, repressive, a direct discriminatory and oppressive act by the Lagos APC Government.

This Is Declaration Of Ethnicity War Against Igbos’ – Labour Party Knocks Sanwo-Olu Over Closure Of Ladipo, Oyingbo Markets

The Labour Party, (LP) has condemned the Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu led government over the closure of Ladipo and Oyingbo markets in the state due to claims of indiscriminate waste disposal by traders.
Naija News reports that Lagos State Government had recently announced that it will be shutting down both Ladipo and Oyingbo markets in the state indefinitely by Thursday 22nd September 2022 due to claims of indiscriminate waste disposal by traders.

According to the state government, the traders were guilty of reckless waste dumping, non-payment for waste services, and general poor waste management.

Reacting to the development, the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Arabambi Abayomi, in a statement on Monday night, accused the All Progressives Congress-led government of being an “intolerant and highly crude government”, adding that “being completely dictatorial, Hitlerite and recklessly very undemocratic is what it is now being known” of the government.

He further expressed shock at the development and frown at the excuse, describing it as “deceptive” and accusing the government of being intolerant, discriminatory and oppressive.

He also quoted the Nigerian constitution, which guarantees every citizen the freedom to live and work in any part of the country, warning that people’s rebellion are born by oppressive and wicked Governance.

While calling on the security agencies to act, the party added that it “entirely and absolutely condemns this act that points in the direction of babaric and dangerously primitive politics of the APC all over the country.”

The statement reads partly; “Closing Ladipo and Oyingbo markets in Lagos indefinitely , two predominantly major centers of Igbos businesses with a view to ruin their businesses because they are confessed and very unrepentant loyal supporters of LP in Lagos is intolerant, callous, insensitive, repressive, a direct discriminatory and oppressive act by the Lagos APC Government.

Keyamo Defends Tinubu for sleeping During Meeting At Gombe Emir,”s Palace

Glamtush reports that Spokesperson All Progressives Congress (APC) Campaign Council, Festus Keyamo, has said the presidential candidate of the APC slept off at Gombe emir’s palace because he is human.

Keyamo added that the sleep which took over the former governor of Lagos State, Bola Ahmed Tinubu was a result of staying up all night for the sake of the country.

Keyamo’s statement comes on the hill of a photo that trended on social media, showing Tinubu was sleeping in a public function.

Also in the trending picture was the senate president, Ahmed Lawan, who was addressing the Emir when Tinubu slept off.

Reacting to the criticisms that followed the picture, Keyamo, uploaded photos of the presidential candidates of the Labour Party, Peter Obi and the Peoples Democratic Party (Atiku Abubakar) also sleeping at functions on his Twitter handle.

Keyamo wrote, “They are all human, after all. We don’t mock people when they show natural human traits. It’s not a sign of weakness. They may have stayed up late the previous night for our sake

By
Airview News.

IGP Declared Anambra State As the safest State in Nigeria when Obi was a Governor.

Recall that the Former Governor of Edo State, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole said yesterday that Peter Obi could not tackle insecurity in Anambra State while he was governor and that he wonders how he plans to fix insecurity all over the country. His comment generated mixed reactions from Nigerians and the Obedient Movement from the Obi-Datti Media Office has replied Oshiomhole by stating his achievements on insecurity as governor of Anambra State.

The movement described what Oshiomhole said as false and that his claim that Governor Obiano was the one who solved the insecurity problem in Anambra State is untrue. Speaking further, the movement said if Oshiomhole made some verification before making his comment, he would have found what the Inspector General of Police in 2014 said in Awka, Anambra State shortly after Peter Obi left office as Governor and handed over to Obiano.

The movement said the IGP declared Anambra as the safest State in Nigeria in the past five years (2009-2014), and that it is still fresh in people’s memory how Peter Obi supervised the sealing off and demolition of hotels and buildings used by kidnappers and other criminal gangs in Anambra State.

The movement stated that security personnel appreciated Peter Obi’s feat in tackling criminality in Anambra State.

Source: Vanguard Newspaper

 

 

Media expert counsel Nigerians on healthy food, enumerate benefits of MAF Canada Oats meal

The Chief Executive Officer, Proclips .Media, and President, Lady of Africa Empowerment and Advocacy Foundation, Princess Oluwabukola Fasuyi has urged Nigerians to pay attention to the kind of food they consume by eating healthy and nutritious meals.

While explaining the nutritional benefits of MAF Canada Quick Oats meal, a fiber meal and new entrant into the Nigeria food market , she said eating healthy food promotes long life and good health.

According to her, the
MAF Canada Quick Oatmeal has been recommended by medical experts as a healthy meal which can be taken any time of the day.

“MAF Canada Quick oats are a great source of fiber. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention has recommended that eating fiber rich foods helps to avoid spikes and dips in your blood sugar levels while reducing the feeling of hunger. Quick oats can be eaten as breakfast or incorporated into different foods as a meal and snacks. It is a great way to give the meal more staying power and help you feel fuller for longer,” she said.

She added: ” A food data has shown that one cup of cooked oatmeal contains 4’grams of fiber’ which is 16% of the recommended daily value and Canada Quick oats contains a special type of soluble fiber called beta-Glucan

Beta glucan forms a gel- like consistency in the gut and helps to keep things moving in your digestion tract and keep you regular. This help with bulking up your stool making it easier for your bowel movement thereby reducing your risk of heart disease.

Emphasizing the importance of consuming fibre food, she said the fiber content in ‘MAF Canada Quick Oats meal can help to ” lower cholesterol, stabilize blood sugar level, lower high blood sugar level ‘ all of which play a significant role in minimizing risk of developing cardiovascular disease’

“MAF Canada QuickOats is also a prebiotic food which feeds the good bacteria in your guts as your gut microbiome will benefit your body’s immune system, improves your mood and digestion, and help to manage your weight.’

‘ MAF Canada Quick Oatmeal high fiber content and prebiotic qualities may benefit your body in more ways than one. Nigerians should learn to eat food rich in fibre and this will help to improve their health condition,” she admonished.

By
Airview News